The Department of Registrar of Companies and Intellectual Property has announced that the final electronic system solution of the Register of Beneficial Owners of companies and other legal entities (UBO Register) is now implemented. The final system solution replaces the existing system, which was implemented with effect as of 12 March 2021 as an interim measure for the collection of information on beneficial owners. Access to the final system solution begins on 14/11/2023. You may access the official announcement of the Registrar (which is in Greek) by clicking here.
PERIOD A: 14/11/2023 – 31/12/2023
All companies established or registered under the Companies Law, Cap. 113, all European Public Limited Liability Companies (SE) and all Cooperatives (hereinafter Organizations) or their officers/partners are invited to enter the final system and proceed with the "Initial Registration". That is, to update/ re-register their UBOs, even if they have already done so in the interim solution system. During this period there will be no fines imposition.
In effect, this means that all previously inserted UBO related details into the interim system must be processed again into the final system with the most up-to-date status as at 14/11/2023 and to also record any updates thereafter. In order to avoid fines this must be done by 31/12/2023.
Period B: 01/01/2024 – 29/02/2024
Those who have not complied with the updating/ re-registration of their UBOs into the final system during Period A, will be subject to a fine. The fine will be calculated daily from 01/01/2024 until the date of submission (* see fines note below). After the resulting fine is paid, they will then be able to proceed with registration and/or suspension and/or change without any further financial burden.
* Fines: By failing to comply, the legal entity and potentially each of its officers shall be subject to a fine of €200 and a further daily fine of €100 until the date of compliance, with a maximum charge of €20,000. Further, there could be a criminal liability or prosecution of any person failing to comply.
Period C: 01/03/2024 onwards
During this Period, all actions based on the relevant Directive (K.D.P. 112/2021, as amended) will be available as below:
- Updating the Register of Beneficial Beneficiaries
- Confirmation of Beneficial Beneficiaries
- Electronic Research in the Register of Beneficial Beneficiaries
- Request for exemption from disclosure of information
- Request for access to the details of a minor
- Calculations of monetary charges where applicable
For any clarifications or assistance you may contact the Head of Corporate, Melina Dionysiou, at [email protected]